Sunday, March 27, 2011

Week 6 (?) meal plan, recipes, and shopping list.

The Big Geek is off on a business trip for the first part of this week, giving me some more flexibility in what I cook (ie, we can have broccoli).  It also means I want to make things easy, so this week is full of quick, easy meals that I think the kids will also eat, and I'll be consuming plenty of leftovers.

The first thing I will do is cook some chicken breasts in the crock pot to make both shredded chicken for the enchiladas and croquettes and to make broth for the chicken divan, croquettes, and enchiladas.  That will happen tonight (overnight).

Here's the plan:
Monday:  Chicken Divan.  I'm excited to eat some broccoli, plus this sounds tasty, I think my kids will eat it, and it's only 8 points for a pretty generous serving.  The chicken in this is also cooked, so I'll likely go ahead and bake it tonight.  It's a chicken-pre-cooking festival around here.

Tuesday:  Bean and Sausage Stew.   This is quick, easy, and delicious.  I don't expect that my kids will eat it, but they can have leftovers or some other kid-friendly thing.  I like it, and if you sub cooking spray for the olive oil it makes 5 servings that are only 5 pts each.

Wednesday:  Leftovers. 

Thursday:  Sicilian Rice Ball Casserole.  A generous portion is 9 points, and I've wanted to try this since Gina posted it on her blog.  It sounds really good, and again, I think my kids will eat it.

Friday:  Baked Croqueettes.  Gina's recipe calls for leftover turkey, but I'm sticking with chicken this week.  6 points for 3 croquettes, and I think my kids will LOVE these.

Saturday:  The Big Geek is trying ribs again.  They are NOT WW friendly.  I will likely sample one and eat a lot of vegetables.

Sunday:  Chicken Enchiladas.  Gina has several enchilada recipes posted, but this one, at 4 pts per enchilada, appealed to me the most.  I'm a bit nervous about how the whole wheat low carb tortillas will work out, as my family historically rejects them, but I'm willing to give it a try.

I'll be back Monday with my weigh-in.  I'd love to hit 10 lbs but I think I'll be just below that.  Of course, when I started the program I just put in the nearest "whole" pounds.  I didn't realize WW cared so much about partial pounds. . .  Oh, well.  If I don't hit 10 lbs this week I should hit it next week.

Here's a shopping list for these recipes, for those who like one:

From your pantry/fridge:  kosher salt, ground black pepper, butter, cumin, oregano, 9ish garlic cloves, all-purpose flour, chicken broth, fat-free milk, cooking spray, long grain rice, onions.

Produce:  1 1/2 lbs broccoli, shallots, parsley, cilantro, kale, 3 potatoes.

Aisles:  seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs, 32 oz total tomato sauce, chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chipotle chili powder, low carb whole wheat flour tortillas, 1 can cannelloni beans or other white beans.

Meat:  about 3 lbs chicken breast (boneless, skinless), 1 sweet Italian sausage (freeze the rest?), 10 oz 93% lean ground turkey (about 1/2 package for recipe, freeze the rest), diced tomatoes.

Dairy:  6 oz low fat swiss cheese (shredded), eggbeaters or egg whites, 1/2 cup pecorino romano, grated parmesan, 1 1/4 cup part skim mozzerella.

Frozen:  peas

Other:  cooking sherry or a dry white wine

No comments:

Post a Comment