Sunday, March 6, 2011

Week 4 menu/shopping list

Thanks for the snack ideas, all.  I broke down and bought myself some skinny cow ice cream sandwiches for nights when I have points left and want some treats.  Those things are delicious (and 4 points plus).  I'm a bit leery of Fiber One bars b/c of the effect of that much fiber on me.  Let's just say I had a Fiber One incident in the past and haven't had one since.  Maybe I'll try again.

Here are my thoughts on last week's recipes:
  •  Arroz con Pollo:  make this.  It is REALLY good.  The portion for points is pretty high (one thigh and a cup of rice is 8 pts), but the flavor is amazing and it's easier than I expected.
  • Crockpot Sweet and Sour Pork:  This was good, but didn't wow me.  I'd make it again.  It was filling.
  • Crockpot Santa Fe Chicken:  This was also tasty, but kind of felt like it was missing something.  Cheese, maybe?  If I'd had some ff sour cream I think that would have made me like it more.  It's also filling, though, and it makes a TON.
  • Spinach Lasagna Rolls:  I liked these.  The Big Geek ate one, but I don't think he was really a fan.  The little geeks actually ate it, probably because there isn't a lot of seasoning in them.  I kept thinking they'd be good with chopped broccoli instead of spinach (but The Big Geek hates broccoli).  I think mine could have used some garlic/onions.  I made an extra batch of this for a friend and used a jarred sauce b/c I thought the flavor would be better.
This week is a chicken-heavy week.  Mainly because everything that sounded good had chicken in it.  Also, The Big Geek has decided he will use his smoker next Sunday.  This is NOT a WW friendly move, but I will survive.  I'm sure just smelling babyback ribs cooking is about 3 pts. :)  Also, Princess's birthday party is Saturday, which means cake.  I will be using my weekly points this week!

Monday:  Chicken Parmesan (serve with salad)
Tuesday:  Chicken nuggets (I am eating out)
Wednesday:  Leftovers (The Big Geek is out)
Thursday:  Penne with Chicken, Asparagus, and Lemon
Friday:  Asian Glazed Drumsticks (serve with sugar snap peas)
Saturday:  bday/leftovers
Sunday:  The Big Geek's Smoked Ribs.  I'll post a recipe for this if you'd like but you need a smoker to make them, and it is NOT a WW-friendly meal.  I'd suggest eating beef, pork, or vegetarian this day since every other meal involves chicken.

Shopping List:

I assume most people already own the following items:  EVOO, flour, salt, pepper, onions, cinnamon, dried thyme, brown sugar, onion powder, dry mustard, tomato paste, cooking spray, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder.

Dairy:  grated parmesan, egg whites, part skim mozzerella

Produce: 1 leek, fresh thyme, fresh basil, 2 lemons, 1 bunch medium asparagus (1 lb), 12 garlic cloves, ginger, chives or scallions

Meat: 2 1/2-3 lbs chicken breasts (about 6 breasts), 8 drumsticks

Aisles:  fat-free chicken broth, dry white wine, 12 oz whole wheat penne pasta, Sriracha hot sauce (with a rooster), agave nectar (or sugar), sesame seeds, 28 oz can diced tomatoes, tomato paste, panko

Plus stuff like salad, fruits/veggies for snacks/sides, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment