Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Gina's Skinny Sloppy Joes

See the original recipe, including a printable version, here.

I loved this.  It was quick, easy, filling, and delicious.  It was a tad spicy for the little geeks, but I think that was because my steak seasoning was too peppery.  I bought a different brand and will try it next time.  If it's still too spicy, I'll try it with seasoned salt instead.  I did forget to put in the mushrooms (I bought them and even got them out, dang it!).  I will say you should chop the veggies really small.  I grated the carrot, but using a food processor would not be overkill because you really don't want your kids (or husband) to even know the veggies are in there.   Also, chop the veggies BEFORE you start to brown the meat, b/c it takes less time to brown ground beef than you think, and it takes more time to mince veggies than you think--but maybe that is just b/c I have a shoulder injury right now.

This will go into the rotation with some experimentation by me to cut down the spicy for the little geeks.

Ingredients:  1.25 lbs lean ground beef sirloin
1 tbsp steak seasoning or seasoned salt
1 carrot, minced
1 medium onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup red bell pepper (I just used a whole one), minced
4 oz mushrooms, minced
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 cups tomato sauce
2 tbsp tomato paste

Heat large skillet over medium-high heat.  Season ground beef with steak seasoning or seasoned salt and cook the meat until it browns.   Add the minced veggies to the skillet.  Reduce heat to medium and add red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce.  Cook 5 minutes.  Add tomato sauce and tomato paste to pan, stir to combine, and cover.  Reduce heat to simmer and cook, covered, an additional 5 minutes.

1/2 cup of the filling is only 3 points plus.  I served these on toasted whole wheat hamburger buns that were 4 pts each, for a total of 7 points plus, and it was the perfect amount of filling.  In the future, I'd probably opt for a lower point bun or even serve the sauce over spaghetti squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment