Sunday, May 8, 2011

Back on Track--weekly menu.

For the first time in several weeks, I'm planning my menu and shopping for the week.  I'm glad to be getting back on track and hope that, by my next weigh-in (after tomorrow, where I don't expect to see a loss and won't be surprised to see a gain).  In addition to my meal menu, I'm throwing in some good snacks to try out.  Let's hope this is the start of good things to come. :)

Monday:  Asian Peanut Noodles  These look amazing.  I am going to pick up some of the Better N' Peanut Butter at Trader Joe's to make these.  After reading reviews for the noodles Gina mentioned, though, I'm sticking with rice noodles, which does make this gluten free.  The Big Geek hates broccoli.  I'm wondering if he'll notice it in this dish or not. . .

Tuesday:  Zucchini Enchiladas.  I am skeptical about these, but we'll see what The Big Geek thinks.  My guess is that he doesn't like them or, at best, tolerates them but has to fill up on snacks later in the evening.

Wednesday:  Out with some of my favorite moms. :)

Thursday:  Carne Bistec and roasted potatoes.  The Big Geek will be happy to see beef on the menu!  Plus, I figure if he's willing to try the zucchini enchiladas, I should reward him with some red meat.  Buying the grass-fed as Gina suggests, so we'll see how much that costs!

Friday:  Leftovers.  I have learned that if I don't plan at least one night of leftovers we end up with far too much food.

Saturday:  Roast Chicken and brussel sprouts.  I'm excited to share my love of brussel sprouts with my family.  Not sure they'll agree. . .

Sunday:  Out (we have a babysitting exchange function).

The snacks I will make this week include Chilled Green Beans (let these sit at least overnight for the best flavor and then enjoy them for a low-point snack!) and zucchini sticks.  The green beans are 3 pts for 1/4 lb. (the whole 2 lbs is 21 pts but the only "points" in the recipe is the olive oil for 14 pts so I have no clue how this works), and the zucchini sticks are 3 pts for 1 zuchhini's worth of sticks.

Shopping list:

Meat:
16 oz chicken breast (cut into strips)
2 oz pancetta
1 1/2 lb grass-fed sirloin tip steak

Dairy:
1 1/2 cups low fat mexican cheese blend

Produce:
1 lime
green onions
broccoli slaw
shredded carrots
1 cup bean sprouts
cilantro
2 medium tomatoes
spaghetti squash (for me to have for lunch with extra sauce or under my carne bistec when the family has rice)
2 zucchini (more if you want to try the baked zucchini sticks)
2 lbs green beans (you can get these at costco clean and ready for steaming)
mint leaves
red onion
1 lb brussel sprouts
ginger (or the tube of grated ginger)
garlic
1 yellow or white onion

Aisles:
14.5 oz chicken broth
honey
8 oz rice noodles
chopped peanuts (optional)
la tortilla factory smart and delicious low carb tortillas
1/2 cup ff vegetable broth (if you want to make truly vegetarian enchiladas)




Pantry:  Sriracha (rooster sauce), soy sauce, salt and pepper, sesame oil, garlic powder, cumin, chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chipotle chili powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment