Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Turkey Burgers

I realize that you all know how to make Turkey Burgers. But these are the moistest Turkey Burgers I've ever made, so I thought I'd share. The recipe comes from The Best Light Recipe cookbook from the editors of Cook's Illustrated, which I reviewed at some point in the recent past. You should buy this cookbook, really.

This recipe makes 4 burgers.

1 1/4 lb 93% lean ground turkey
1/2 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

1 Tbsp vegetable oil (if preparing in a skillet)

Combine all ingredients (except oil) in a large bowl until uniformly combined. Divide the mixture into 4 portions. Lightly toss one portion from hand to hand to form a ball, then lightly flatten the ball with your fingertips into a 1-inch-thick patty. Repeat the process with the remaining portions.

They suggest you cook the patties in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Heat the oil until smoking, then lay burgers in the skillet and cook until light brown and crusted, about 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook until the second side is light brown, 3-4 minutes. The reduce the heat to low, partially cover, and cook until burgers are 160 degrees (about 8-10 more minutes).

In reality, I gave them to The Big Geek and he cooked them. He managed to keep them from falling apart (which was my fear), but I think he had to be a bit more careful with them than with other burgers I've made.

These burgers had a good flavor, but weren't full of flavor if you're used to adding other things (like soup mix) to your burgers. Next time I'll probably dice some shallots to throw in, and double the Worcestershire sauce and Dijon mustard.

What I will say is they were hands down the moistest Turkey Burgers I have EVER had, and I thoroughly enjoyed mine. You don't taste the ricotta at all.

Cooked as directed these have 250 calories and 12 g. of fat (compared to about 34 grams in a regular burger).

No comments:

Post a Comment