Monday, April 13, 2009

Ham Glaze!

Because I wanted my kids to nap at home, I ended up hosting Easter. Part of that was cooking a ham, which I'd never done before. I just bought a spiral sliced ham from the store, and then looked online for a glaze.

You all know I love me some liquor in or on my food, so this is the one I used:

(makes enough for a 4-6 lb ham, although I'd double it and pour it on THICK)

One boneless, fully-cooked smoked ham half (spiral sliced is easier). This recipe is for a 4-6 lb ham, but if yours is larger just adjust the cooking time and make more glaze.
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup bourbon/whiskey
1 Tbsp finely grated orange peel (I left this out b/c I didn't have an orange)
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground allspice

Preheat oven to 325.
On a rack in a roasting pan, roast ham, uncovered, for abotu 20 minutes per pound, or until a meat thermometer reads 140.

Before ham is done (at about 100), simmer a mixture of the brown sugar, bourbon, orange peel, cloves, and allspice over medium low heat for about 15 minutes, or until slightly thickened.

Brush the glaze over the ham about 20 minutes before done (around 120).

YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment