Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Fast & Easy Weeknight Meals--Sausage & Potatoes

I know we all have "standard" meals we reach for (resort to?) during the week when things are just too hectic for words. I'm going to start posting some of mine here, and I'd love it if other people sent me some of their fast and easy meals.

In my house, the #1 standby is pasta. But since you don't need a recipe to make pasta and pour a jar of sauce in it, we won't discuss that too much.

Next on the list would be sausage and potatoes. This is actually something I learned from a friend, and it was a weight watchers recipe (although perhaps not the way I make it). All you need is a package of chicken sausage (we generally end up with garlic & artichoke because that's what I can usually find), some potatoes, olive oil, sea salt, and Italian seasoning (although you could get away with whatever seasoning you like).

1. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray. Do not skip the cooking spray, trust me. Pre-heat the oven to 375-400 (depending on how much of a hurry you're in).

2. Wash and chop potatoes into small chunks--a little larger than a piece of pineapple in one of those fruit cups. Spread the potatoes on the baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and mix it all around. Sprinkle GENEROUSLY with Italian seasoning (I have one you grind, which is lovely) and then with sea salt.

4. Place sausages around the perimeter of the baking sheet. The Big Geek thinks I should put the sausages in later because they cook faster than the potatoes. He's probably right.

5. Bake for 20-30 minutes, depending on your desired level of crispy-ness.

The Big Geek loves it when I resort to this meal. Not sure it's actually nutritious, but it is filling and better than hot dogs and french fries.

At least I tell myself that.

No comments:

Post a Comment