Saturday, March 28, 2009

Easy Chicken Pot Pie

from Weight Watchers

I LOVE this recipe. It's best in cold weather, and by the end of summer I am just waiting for a cold day so I can make this. It's not The Big Geek's favorite, but he is crazy, because it is YUMMY! The white wine and rosemary combine and just make my toes curl--in a good way.

Weight Watchers says to make this in ramekins for individual pot pies. I don't own no fancy stuff like ramekins, so I just double this recipe and make it in a 13 x 9 glass baking dish. I also use more biscuits than you're supposed to use, which I'm sure makes them more points, but I like it that way. One day, I'm going to use puff pastry sheets instead of biscuits.

2 Tbsp white self-rising flour
1 Tbsp butter
2/3 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup white ine
1 cup chicken broth
3/4 lb uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
2 medium celery stalks, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped (or 1/2 tsp dried if you must, but fresh is MUCH better)
2 small tube biscuits, uncooked, flaky--like the ones you can "peel" the layers off of (I'd use 3 in a small baking dish or 6 in a 13 x 9)

Preheat oven to 375. Coat four 10-oz ramekins (or a small baking dish, or a 13 x 9 one if you double) with cooking spray.

In saute pan (if you double, you will need a BIG saute pan), melt butter over medium heat. Add chicken, onion, celery, and carrots. Saute until chicken is no longer pink. Add flour and stir so the flour mixes with the butter.

If you're like me, at this point you'll be like, "but I can't even see the butter any longer." That's ok. Just stir it so the flour coats the chicken. Then you'll start thinking, "this looks like a gross disgusting mess." Good job! You are on the right track!

Add chicken stock and wine slowly, stirring constantly so no lumps form. Add peas, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Simmer until thick, about 15 min, stirring occasionally (mainly just scrape the bottom of the pan).

Remove chicken mixture from heat and divide evenly among ramekins (or pour in baking dish).

Cut (or peel, which is what I do) each biscuit in half horizontally and put half a biscuit on top of each ramekin (or just put them on top of the baking dish in a decorative fashion, and then cut up the extra halves and fill in the gaps). Place ramekins on a baking sheet (or just put the dish in the oven) and bake until biscuits are brown and mixture is bubbly, about 15-20 minutes.

YUM! This smells so good while it's cooking you will want to stick your head in the oven and eat it. But don't. It would burn.

If it wasn't so warm here I'd make this right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment