Sunday, February 7, 2010

WW Creamed Spinach

I'm trying to lose a significant amount of weight, and so am trying to cook more healthy food. (Not sure exactly how Crunken Chicken fits into that, but it is delicious, and I use organic ketchup with no HFCS, so hey, it's healthy, right???) I like creamed spinach, but the last time I made it there was quite a bit of cheese in it.

So I decided to try this WW recipe. As a whole, it wasn't bad. I think it could be improved, but we'll discuss that later.

Ingredients:

2 bags washed spinach, steamed, squeezed dry, and chopped
1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
1/4 cup nonfat milk
1 tbsp parmesan cheese
1 small garlic clove, minced

Combine cottege cheese, milk, parmesan cheese, garlic, and 1/4 the cooked spinach in a food processor and process until creamy (or in a bowl and use an immersion blender, or you could do this in a regular blender). Place remaining spinach in a skillet over medium heat, add blended mixture, and stir. Cook until heated through.

That's it--pretty easy and not bad tasting.

I would change:

1. (not really a change, but) Make sure you press as much water out of the spinach as possible so that this is not watery.

2. Maybe up the cottage cheese a bit or just cut back on the amount of milk. I really think you could just leave the milk out altogether.

3. I probably used 1 1/2 tbsp of parmesan cheese (I just grabbed some I didn't get out a measuring spoon).

That's about it. Most of my changes focus on making this more creamy and less watery. The flavor was really good, though. Be aware that b/c you process some of the spinach with the cheese, this will be brighter green than normal creamed spinach.

1 comment:

  1. a note! a note! a note on my blog!!! thank you! ;) at least now I know it works. LOL and oh, creamed spinach, I love creamed spinach... mmmm

    ReplyDelete