Thursday, January 21, 2010

WW Parmesan Turkey Meatloaf

I'm trying to lose a lot of weight, a few lbs at a time, and so have gotten out my Jenny Craig and WW cookbooks to try some old favorites and some new things. This meatloaf was one of those things. I tossed it together yesterday, but had to leave before eating it. I assume The Big Geek liked it since half of it was gone when I got home. I had some, cold, for lunch today, and I have to say I thought it was really good. It's easy, you can put it together ahead of time, and the leftovers are yummy.

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 1/2 lbs ground turkey
4 slices whole wheat bread, made into fine crumbs (a small food processor is great for this)
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1 egg white (recipe says lightly beaten, but I just tossed it in and it was fine)
3 Tbsp ketchup (I like Heinz Organic b/c it doesn't contain HFCS)
2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves, crumbled
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

Heat the oil in a small nonstick skillet. Add the onions and saute until tender, 4-5 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 and spray an 8 x 5 loaf pan with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, combine all other ingredients. When onion is done, allow to cool slightly (so you don't burn yourself) and mix into turkey mixture.

Shape into a loaf and transfer to loaf pan.

Bake 50-60 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

Yum!

Next time I may chop up some celery and add it in with the onions--but don't tell The Big Geek. :)

As written, the recipe is 4 pts per serving (makes 8 servings): 181 calories, 9 g fat, 1 g fiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment